|Show some love to your Mac by giving it a tune-up OR visit the help desk and we’re happy to help you out!|
Employees, Students and Parents
|Up-to-date for the 2022-2023 school year.|
General Maintenance Tips
- Prevent data loss: Time Machine backups OR put everything into Google Drive
- Upgrade the operating system to the latest version
- Keep your software up-to-date in the App Store and elsewhere
- Reboot the machine regularly (once per week is good)
- Delete stale wireless preferred networks in Network Preferences.
- NOTE: If you use iCloud Keychain, any wireless networks you have connected to, on any Apple device also connected to iCloud Keychain, will appear in the list of preferred networks.
- Zap the PRAM (also called NVRAM)
- For M version Macs: Shut down the computer. Leave it off for several seconds and the M chip is supposed to detect if there's anything wrong and reset it. Then power it back on. There is no actual keyboard command to reset it anymore.
- Reboot, then hold command-option-P-R until you hear the chime twice
- Boot into Safe Mode by holding Shift during the startup chime
- This will clear the Mac's cache files; just log in (twice if you have FileVault turned on), and then restart once more
- For M version Macs:
- Shut down the laptop
- Power on while HOLDING the power button
- Options and disks will appear
- Hold SHIFT key and click "Continue in Safe Mode"
- Install anti-virus software (we use Sophos at RCS)
- Review the Trash and empty it
- Review contents of Downloads folder and delete files that you don't need
- NOTE: You're also welcome to open a ticket and we can assist you with a performance tune-up!
- Chrome Task Manager - like the Activity Monitor, but for Chrome (if you use Chrome)
- Check browser extensions / add-ons: Running a lot of them can slow down your browsing
- Clear your browser (especially Chrome): history, cache, passwords - these things can dramatically speed up Chrome
- Restart your browser: Especially after clearing things above
- Reset your browser: This is a last-case fix, so come discuss with the Tech Dept before doing this