|Summary||This article will help you set up your RCS Apple laptop or tablet|
|Author||Maintained by Jeremy Martinez|
|Help||Get help with this article|
|Status||Up-to-date for the 2023-2024 school year.|
This page will help you get started with your RCS issued technology. Please review these instructions PRIOR to setting up your equipment. If you are NEW to the RCS community and have not setup your user account, pleases do so PRIOR to setting up your new equipment.
iPad and Apple Pencil
Welcome to your RCS Issued iPad! Please follow the steps listed below to setup and enroll your device.
- Power on your device
- Choose your Language
- Choose the Country
- Select Set Up Manually
- It is IMPORTANT you choose set up manually when setting up your RCS iPad, selecting Quick set up will only bypass our enrollment process. This will allow the device to be enrolled in our system, giving us access to deploy applications and updates to your device.
- Select your Wifi network and login
- Apps and Data
- Don't Transfer Apps & Data (Recommended option)- This option will allow you to start fresh with your iPad and download only the Applications you need.
- Restore from Mac or PC (If you have a lot of data to restore) - This option will allow you to to restore your iPad data using your Mac backup. You will need to complete the following steps prior to continuing.
- Open iTunes on your laptop.
- Connect your old iPad using a cable
- Backup your iPad onto your Laptop (You may have done this prior receiving your new device)
- Connect your new iPad to your laptop.
- Restore from iCloud (If you have data you want to restore) - This option will allow you to restore your iPad data using the data stored in your iCloud drive. You will need to ensure that your iPad content is being saved to iCloud by completing the following steps prior to continuing:
- Open Settings menu
- Select iCloud > Manage Storage
- Ensure that your iPad is backing up to your iCloud
Please note: Restore from Mac OR Restore from iCloud will NOT enroll your iPad in self service and will require enrollment later on. iPad enrollment is NOT optional. A member from the tech department will reach out with instructions on how to enroll your iPad at a later date.
- Enroll your Device in Self Service by entering your RCS Username and passphrase. Your username is usually your first initial and last name without the @riverdale.edu.
- Finalize Initial Setup
- Enable Location Services
- Login Using your Apple ID and password (If you do not have a Apple ID and password, we recommend you create one using your Riverdale email address)
Apple Pencil Setup
Use these instructions to connect your Apple Pencil to your device
Pairing your Apple Pencil & iPad
- Remove the cap off the top of your Apple pencil
- Plug the Apple pencil into the charging port of your iPad
- Select "Connect" when prompted to connect your Apple Pencil via Bluetooth (Ensure Bluetooth is turned on by going to the Bluetooth option in the settings menu)
Checking Battery Life
- From the iPad lock screen
- Swipe right to display your widgets
- Select "Edit" from the bottom of the list
- Click the green plus sign next to battery icon
- Select "Done" to confirm your add
- Swipe right on the home screen or lock screen to check the battery life of you Apple pencil.
We recommend you download the following apps from the App Store to use during remote learning.
|Gmail||Access School Email|
|G Cal||Check your Schedule and easily join virtual meetings|
|G Drive||To upload and share content across you|
|Zoom||Join virtual meetings|
|SMART Notebook||For those teachers who already use SMART Notebook on their PC|
|Simple Whiteboard||Simple Whiteboard tool for video recording or|
Macbook Air (Upgrade)
Recommended and RCS owned apps can be found in Self Service. Apps not available in Self Service may need to be installed via the manufactures website or via tech support request.
Don't See Self Service in the Applications folder?
If you dont see Self Service in the applications folder, please open Safari and navigate to https://jss.riverdale.edu:8443/enroll. Then follow the on screen prompts. Once enrolled, Self Service will launch and you may continue to install apps.
Restore from iCloud Drive
To restore your data from iCloud Drive, please verify iCloud Drive is enabled by following the steps below:
- Click on the Apple icon in the upper left corner of your screen.
- Scroll down to and select "System Preferences."
- Click on "iCloud" – it should be on the far left of the middle row.
- Sign into your iCloud account and click on "iCloud Drive" to enable it. If it's already clicked, your iCloud Drive is on.
Restore from Google Drive
**We recommend that you store ALL of your RCS content in Google Drive**
We recommend using Google File Stream to access your Google Drive files from your Mac. If you dragged files into Google Drive File Stream and would like restore them to your computer, feel free to drag them back to their respective folders ie. Desktop, Documents, etc.
Restore from time machine
- When you're asked how you want to transfer your information, select the option to transfer from a Mac, Time Machine backup, or startup disk. Then click Continue.
- Select your Time Machine backup, then click Continue.
- If you're asked to choose from a list of backups organized by date and time, choose a backup and click Continue.
- Select only your user profile to transfer, then click Continue to start the transfer.
- If you have a lot of content, the transfer might take several hours to finish. When the transfer is complete, restart your Mac and log in to the migrated account to see its files.
Macbook Air (New Faculty)
Please watch this video for a walkthrough of how to install RCS Self Service as part of your MacBook Air initial setup.