Resetting & Erasing a macOS laptop or iOS device for return
|The article is used by those returning RCS owned devices.|
Employees, Students and Parents
RCS Software and Services
|in need of review.|
When you return a Riverdale-provided Mac Laptop or iPad/iPhone to the Technology Department, you must make sure that you follow the steps below to disable Find My iPad (iPhone) (see above) and to delete (iPad) or logout from (laptop) your iCloud account. You must reset your iPad to factory settings before you return it. If you have forgotten the passcode for your iPad and cannot reset it yourself, and Find My Device is still enabled, please inform the Technology Department. On a returned laptop, it is suggested that you remove any personal documents in your user account. Laptops will be wiped clean (digitally and physically) for you by the Tech department and we won't login to inspect any files or data.
iPad Return Procedures
If you are returning an iPad which is managed by RCS, or you have a self-managed iPad, follow these instructions.
- Disable Touch ID/Face ID & Passcode - Go to Settings > Touch ID/Face ID & Passcode. Disable all the Touch ID/Face ID options and select the Turn Passcode Off option.
- Find My iPad - Go to Settings > iCloud > Find My iPad and switch it off. Your AppleID and password is required.
- Sign out of iCloud - In the same iCloud settings pane at the bottom, tap the Sign Out button. Your AppleID and password, as well as the device passcode, may be necessary.
- Erase all Content and Settings - reset the iPad to factory settings by going to Settings > General > Reset > Erase All Content and Settings. You will need to type the device passcode.
Once the iPad has been wiped clean, it offers the setup Hello! screen. Power down by holding down the power button on the iPad, and swipe the "slide to power off" button. Return the device to a member of the Tech Department and indicate you have followed these instructions.
macOS Return Procedures
If you are returning a macOS device which is owned by RCS follow these instructions before turning in your device:
- Sign out of iCloud - Go to System Prefs > Apple ID > Select iCloud > Uncheck all options, including Find My Mac > Click Overview > Click 'Sign Out'
- Back up Data - Please back up any personal data from your device as the device will be wiped once it is turned in.
The tech department will wipe and reinstall macOS on this device as soon as the device it turned in.