|A guide for accessing and setting up GoGuardian Parent on your mobile device
|Maintained by Jeremy Martinez
|Get help with this article
|Up-to-date for the 2023-2024 school year.
Welcome to GoGuardian Parent!
GoGuardian Parent is a mobile app to help keep parents/guardians aware of their children's browsing activity, app usage, and more. The GoGuardian Parent app acts as a companion to the classroom management and internet filtering tools that we use on iPads and Chromebooks issued to our Lower and Middle School students. Through the use of this app, we hope to encourage more open and honest conversations between parents and children that will result in safer practices and responsible browsing habits.
What is GoGuardian Parent?
GoGuardian Parent was created to help provide additional educational support to administrators and teachers by allowing parents to see what sites and documents their children are browsing. The app gives parents a bird's eye view of the apps and websites that their kids are on most often. With this perspective, parents can be made aware of what types of browsing behavior schools are seeing from students so they can all work together to encourage more effective internet browsing habits at home and at school.
What's the intention of the app?
By providing insight into student browsing habits, our goal is to empower parents to take a more active role in their children's online learning. We aim to create a greater sense of transparency with student browsing to help bring about a greater sense of accountability on both the parent's and the student's part. We also believe that transparency and insight will increase the likelihood of productive student browsing habits on a more consistent basis.
What is included in this app:
- Top 5 summary of student browsing (apps, extensions, documents, and websites visited)
- Teacher interventions
- 30-day view of websites, videos, documents, apps, and extensions
To access the app, please follow the below instructions:
- Download the app
- iPhone: Visit App Store, search for GoGuardian Parent, and tap the download button.
- Android: Visit Google Play Store, search for GoGuardian Parent, and tap the download button.
- After the app is successfully downloaded and installed, open it up and enter the email address registered with the school. Note: If you forgot your registered email address, please reach out to your school administrator. We call this your 'Email 1' in Veracross.
- Login/Check Email: Check your email on your phone for a link to log in to the app. Tap the "Verify your email", and it will take you straight to the app. Note: If you don't have access to your email through the device you used to log in, tap on "Login with verification code", and copy and paste the verification code from the email into the app.
GoGuardian Parent vs YouTube
The Parent app allows parents to introduce filtering outside of school hours. Unfortunately, the parent filter is an overlay of any school filters (aka, it only makes it more strict) and we cannot STOP a parent from blocking something. In our case, logging on to Schoology requires that accounts.youtube.com is accessed (we have no control over this) and if a parent blocks youtube.com, a student is unable to logon to our LMS outside of school hours. This is a known issue that we are working on trying to resolve. Thank you.
For More Info
Please review GoGuardian's documentation to learn more about the app and how to filter individual sites.
If you have any questions, you can reach us at firstname.lastname@example.org.