Use myRiverdale (aka Okta)?
|Provides secure identity management and single sign-on to many RCS applications and services.|
Employees and Students
RCS software and services
|Up-to-date for the 2018-2019 school year.|
- 1 Okta Mobile App
- 2 First, clear your browser cache
- 3 Logging into myRiverdale
- 4 First time login
- 5 The Dashboard
- 6 Installing the Okta plugin
- 7 Opening an application from the dashboard
- 8 Organizing apps/Creating Tabs
- 9 Setting/Changing Your RCS Password
- 10 Need further help?
- 11 Other articles about Software and Services:
Okta Mobile App
With the mobile app, users can access the applications in their Dashboard and reset their Okta password.
- When you open the App for the first time, you'll be prompted to enter the "site name", your "user name", and your "password". For "site name", enter "Riverdale".
- Please note that the mobile application has been a little inconsistent in our testing. It does not always work correctly for all applications. We hope it will be improved in future versions.
First, clear your browser cache
We urge you to clear your web browser cache before visiting the new myRiverdale for the first time. Here’s how to do that:
Logging into myRiverdale
Enter your RCS Username and password.
First time login
If this is your first time logging in, you will be prompted to answer a few questions as part of the account creation process.
- Add a secondary email address to use when resetting your password, or check the box that says "I have no secondary email address"
- Add your mobile phone number if you want the option to reset your password via text message
- Choose a security question to answer if you forget your password.
- Choose a security image.
When you have finished these steps, click on the button that says "Create Account" in the lower right-hand corner of the screen.
Now you have successfully created your account and will be logged into the application!
Now that you have logged in, you will see the Dashboard. You will also see a message that says "Welcome to your Okta homepage". Okta provides links to help files and "how-to" videos here that you may find helpful to use. (click hereto access these videos)
This window can be closed if you are not using it.
You may also see a message that says "We added new features to your Okta account" . This refers to a new feature Okta has just included that allows users to create tabs to organize their applications.
Installing the Okta plugin
If you are using a Faculty laptop, or an off-campus computer, you may see a message that asks you to install an Okta browser plug-in, the first time you login to your Okta account.
The plug-in helps the Okta application run smoothly, and should be installed.
- Click on the part of the message that says "click here to install".
- After starting the installation, follow the onscreen instructions.
- When the installation is complete you will need to restart the browser.
- If you use more than one browser, you will need to install the plug-in in each browser.
- Note:Each web browser has its own slightly different method of installing the plug-in.
After installing the Okta plug-in, a folder called "My Applications" will be added to the Bookmarks toolbar. This folder contains bookmarks for all of the applications in your dashboard.
Click on the triangle to view the contents of the "My Applications" folder
A right click (two finger click, for you laptop users) on the My Applications folder will allow you to rename it. For instance, you could call it "Riverdale Applications."
These bookmarks provide you with a quick and easy way to access applications in Okta, without going to the dashboard.
For more info on the plug-ins click here
Opening an application from the dashboard
The Dashboard contains all of the links to applications that were accessible through the my.riverdale portal. To login to any of these applications simply click its icon.
The first time you login to an application you may be asked to enter your password. Do this and click the green "Sign In" button.
After logging in you may see a window pop up that asks if you were successfully logged in. Click "yes". Your username and password will be stored so that in the future you will be automatically logged in.
Organizing apps/Creating Tabs
The Dashboard view can be customized by rearranging the order in which apps appear or by creating Tabs to organize apps under different headings.
Simply click on the application you wish to move, and drag/drop it into the new position.
Creating a new tab
Click the "+" next to the existing tab
Then enter a name for the new tab
To add applications to the new tab, simply drag/drop apps from an existing tab into the new one.
We recommend creating a tab to store applications you don't need/ use.
Changing a password for an application
- click on the "gear" icon in the upper right-hand corner of the application button
- enter the new password
- click "Save"
Automatically launching applications when you sign-in to Okta:
- click on the "gear" icon in the right-hand corner of the application button
- check the box that says "Automatically launch this app when I sign into Okta"
- click "Save"
For directions on how to add your own applications to the Okta dashboard, click' here
Setting/Changing Your RCS Password
To reset your password, you must go to myRiverdale. If you are able to log in (with your own password or a temporary password) see the Setting a new password before it expires section below. If you do not have a working password, jump down to Resetting a forgotten/expired password section.
Note: Setting your password here will change both your domain password and Google Apps password. Trust us: this is a good thing. But because this will change your e-mail password, you will need to update your password in account settings on any mobile devices (iPhones, iPads etc) that you use to access your Riverdale.edu e-mail and calendar. You'll also need to change settings for printing on campus. Instructions are here.
Getting ready before your password expires
If you set your password reset question phone number, you can easily recover a forgotten or expired password
- Log into http://my.riverdale.edu with your domain credentials
- Click your name at top right and select "Settings"
- Click Edit Profile at top right
- Add your phone number in the "Forgot Password Text Message" box at bottom right
- Edit your "Forgotten password question" if necessary
Setting a new password before it expires
- Log into http://my.riverdale.edu with your domain credentials
- Click your name, then Settings at top right
- Click Edit Profile
- Fill in the fields in "Change Windows Password"
- Click "Change Password"
Resetting a forgotten/expired password
- Visit http://my.riverdale.edu
- Click "Forgot Password"
- Choose to send a text message or e-mail
- If you choose text message, confirm your identity using the code sent to your phone
- If you choose e-mail, follow the instructions in the e-mail you receive from firstname.lastname@example.org
- Answer your password reset question
- Set your new password
Need further help?
Other articles about Software and Services:
|Fix "Hold for Authentication" when printing||This page describes how to fix a common printing error.|
|Access Financial Edge?||The Financial Edge is the financial management software that the RCS Business Office uses.|
|Enter student updates?||How to enter student updates|
|Enter Grades?||MS/US 1st Semester Grades for All Students & Narrative Reports for C and Below are Due January 24, 2017.|
|Get a loaner computer?||Instructions on what to do if you need to borrow a laptop.|
|Install RCS-provided software on my Windows PC?||Follow these directions to request software for your Windows machine.|
|Use RCS Shoebox?||This page is for Riverdale-specific information about the setup and use of Shoebox for archiving documents, images, and videos.|
|Post on blogs.riverdale.edu?||blogs.riverdale.edu is the official blogging site for Riverdale Country School. It is a WordPress blog.|
|Project in the classroom/theater?||How to connect your device to RCS projectors and displays.|
|Access library resources||How to to access all of Riverdale's print and digital resources, including eBooks, audiobooks, and interactive books, as well as free and paid subscription databases.|
|Restore Google data?||if your Google user data is deleted or corrupted, you can restore it immediately.|
|Access my domain files remotely||This page describes how you can access your Riverdale server files from home.|
|Organize My Google Drive||Is it taking you way too long to find something on Google Drive? Then check out the infographic below to tackle the world of Google Drive Organization and File Naming.|
|New User Accounts||Hiring a new employee? Go to the section of this document that corresponds with his/her start date. Wondering about a new/visiting/exchange student? Those details are here as well.|