Difference between revisions of "Secure and prevent a catastrophe with my laptop, ChromeBook, and phone?"
|Line 99:||Line 99:|
== Dealing with data loss ==
== Dealing with data loss ==
* . We're here to help.
Revision as of 10:05, 25 June 2018
|How to prevent harm to your devices.|
Employees and Students
Classroom technology and systems
|in need of review.|
Riverdale requires that you configure tracking software and keep it operational at all times on any RCS-issued laptop, tablet, and phone. This will help prevent data loss, and will help if your laptop, tablet, or phone is ever damaged, missing, lost, or stolen.
Even if Riverdale didn't give you your device, we strongly recommend you follow these instructions.
Preparing for catastrophe
These are listed in order of importance -- if you do nothing else, do #1, etc. But really you should do them all.
1) Enable device tracking
As long as you configure one of the below, you or the Tech team can attempt to track your device's general location if it's lost or stolen.
- Enable Find my iPhone/iPad/Mac.
- You can check the activation lock status of any iPhone or iPad by clicking here.
- Enable Find my Phone (Android)
On everything else
- Download free tracking software called "Prey" and follow its instructions.
- If you need help with the installation please go to Prey's support page.
2) Set up system security
- Set a good device password.
- Set up a password requirement -- you want your device to lock after a certain time.
If you're not sure how to do the second step, Google "XXXXX screen lock" and replace XXXXX with your device (iPad, Android, Mac, Windows, etc)
3) Turn on backups
Even if you store your data in the cloud, backups help you recover from a catastrophe quickly. Everyone should enable them.
RCS employees are given a backup drive with their laptop. Yes, it might be in that small box you put in the back of your drawer. :)
- Use Time Machine. Instructions are here.
- Set up Backup and Restore with these instructions.
- Set up your backups with these instructions.
No perfect options here for backup/restore, sorry.
- You should set up Android Backup Service to save your data... but it's not perfect. It'll get you started, though.
- If you want to experiment with backup apps, here's a list. But none of them are flawless.
- AppBrain App Market is a good app syncing utility if you just want to restore apps you've installed.
4) Store important documents in "the cloud"
We offer unlimited Google Drive storage. By setting it up and using it for all your Riverdale documents, you instantly have another backup of your important data.
- Go here for instructions on installing and using the Google File Stream for your Riverdale documents.
5) Physically secure it
Lock up your devices when not in use. Riverdale is a remarkably safe campus but theft can occur anywhere. Employees must physically secure their school devices when they're not in use. (This includes locking laptop carts.)
Dealing with a missing, lost, or stolen device
If you can't locate your device, immediately report it to us. It's much better to have us scramble to find it quickly -- and then remember it's at home -- than to give a thief time to exploit it.
- Directly notify someone from the Tech Department -- by phone (x50) or in person. Please don't leave a message; actually talk with someone so you know we're working on it.
- Template:TSREQ to report your device missing. Choose ticket type "Tech support (exact) > Loss or physical damage."
- You may also want to request a loaner in your report.
- To find your missing devices, sign in to the Find My iPhone app on any iOS device, or sign into https://www.icloud.com/#find.
Windows or Android Device
- With Prey Project: Visit https://panel.preyproject.com/devices and log in to see your device's location.
- With Android Device Manager: Visit https://www.google.com/android/devicemanager and log in to see your device's location.
Dealing with data loss
- Submit a Tech Request. We're here to help.