Below are a list of notifications and our recommendations to resolve them.
|Summary||Get rid of Self Service notifications and warnings on your MacOS device|
|Author||Maintained by Jeremy Martinez|
|Help||Get help with this article|
|Status||Up-to-date for the 2023-2024 school year.|
This computer does not have Sophos Anti-virus installed. Please install Sophos Anti-virus via Self-Service.
To install Sophos:
Enable Find My Mac
Find My Mac must be enabled on ALL Employee Laptop Program laptops. If you lose or misplace your laptop, you can use Find My Mac to help locate it. Please enable Find My Mac by following the directions below or dial x50 for further assistance.
To set up Find My Mac
- Go to the Apple menu ().
- Click System Preferences > iCloud.
- Check the box to turn on Find My Mac.
Disable auto login
Automatic login has been enabled. Someone can just turn on or wake up your laptop and have full access to your files and data! Please disable this feature as this poses a security risk to your personal and RCS related information.
To disable automatic login:
- Choose System Preferences from the Apple menu (), then click Users & Groups.
- Click the lock , then enter account password.
- If you aren't logged in as an administrator, you're asked to enter an administrator's name and password.
- Click Login Options.
- Choose "Off" from from the “Automatic login” pop-up menu, then enter the password of that account.
The computer is now set up without automatic login when your Mac starts up.
FileVault must be enabled on all Administrator devices. If someone were to steal your laptop, they could take out the SSD and read all the contents easily. FileVault encrypts your entire SSD and makes it impossible for someone to read without knowing your password. Please enable this feature as this poses a security risk to your personal and RCS related information.
To turn on and set up FileVault
FileVault 2 is available in OS X Lion or later. When FileVault is turned on, your Mac always requires that you log in with your account password.
- Choose Apple menu () > System Preferences, then click Security & Privacy.
- Click the FileVault tab.
- Click Locked, then enter an administrator name and password.
- Click Turn On FileVault.
Reboot your computer
This computer has not been restarted in more than two weeks. For optimal performance RCS Tech recommends you reboot your computer at least once per week.
To Restart your computer, do one of the following:
- Choose Apple menu () > Restart.
- Press and hold the power button until you see options, then click Restart or press R.
- If the pointer freezes on the screen or your Mac becomes unresponsive, press and hold Control-Command while you press the power button to force a restart.
Important: If you force a restart, you may lose unsaved changes in open documents.
If you don’t want the app windows you currently have open to reopen when you restart your Mac and sign in, deselect “Reopen windows when logging back in.”
Upgrading is free. And easier than you think. Open Self Service and find the OS Category. Click the appropriate policy to download the latest macOS from the Mac App Store. Click the download button and follow the onscreen instructions to begin your upgrade.
This computer may be infected with Adware or Malware. Please bring your laptop for support during help desk hours or dial X50 for further assistance.
RCS-Guest has been removed from the preferred networks list of your device as that network has changed as of Spring Break 2018. Employees should all be using RCS-Community to maximize speed, usability and to reduce filtering.
Update Laptop Password
Your laptop password if over 365 days old! It’s important to change your laptop login password from time to time to protect your privacy. Please change you laptop password following these instructions:
- On your Mac, choose Apple () menu > System Preferences, then click Users & Groups.
- Click Change Password.
- Enter your current password in the Old Password field.
- Enter your new password in the New Password field, then enter it again in the Verify field.
- For help choosing a secure password, click the Key button next to the New Password field.
- Enter a hint to help you remember the password.
- The hint appears if you enter the wrong password three consecutive times, or if you click the question mark in the password field in the login window.
- Click Change Password.