Improve my home office situation
We are working out of our homes a lot right now, here are some suggestions for improving that experience.
|inexpensive items to improve your home work situation|
Classroom technology and systems
|in need of review.|
These relatively low-cost items might help your home workspace be more comfortable this year. Some of these we've bought and tried, others we've just combed through reviews to find for you.
It might feel comfy curled up on your couch with the laptop, but after a few days or weeks you'll start to pay the price. Having good ergonomics is critical, as well as changing position, sitting, standing, moving etc. Here are a few guides to give you ideas:
- Mayo Clinic - Office ergonomics: Your how-to guide
- PCMag - Everything You Need to Set Up an Ergonomic Home Office
- WebMD - Ergonomic Tips for a Home Office
- Top 5 Tips for Teachers Working From Home
We think a 24" monitor is the ideal size for home use, big enough to see so much more than your laptop screen, but not overwhelming.
- Amazon Reviews - Best 24" Monitor,
- Wirecutter - The Best Monitors
- ViewSonic VA2456-MHD 24 Inch Frameless IPS 1080p Monitor with HDMI DisplayPort and VGA Inputs ($140)
- Acer R240HY bidx 23.8-Inch IPS HDMI DVI VGA (1920 x 1080) Widescreen Monitor ($130)
- LG 24M47VQ 24-Inch LED-lit Monitor ($100) [no speakers]
- BenQ 24 Inch IPS Monitor ($119)
Sometimes it's just easiest to plug in a headset and get talking. No batteries to charge, great sound quality, etc.
- Logitech USB Headset H390 with Noise Cancelling Mic ($25)
- Wired 'trucker style' single earphone headset ($30)
But people like to move a lot when they're talking!
- (link to come)
You don't have to spend $150 on AirPods to get good wireless earbuds! But you can if you want!
- TaoTronics SoundLiberty 92 Bluetooth 5.0 Earbuds with Charging Case ($40)
- TaoTronics SoundLiberty 94 Active Noice Cancelling Earbuds for Sport ($50) [Active Noise Cancellation!]
If you are putting your computer on a stand, perhaps to raise the monitor height up off your lap or desk, you might want an external keyboard and mouse. They are plentiful and cheap.
- Wireless Keyboard and Mouse Combo, FENIFOX USB Slim 2.4G Full Size Ergonomic Compact with Number Pad ($35)
- Macally Wireless Bluetooth Keyboard with Numeric Keypad ($50)
- Multi-Device Keyboard for Mac OS/ iOS/ iPad OS, Jelly Comb Bluetooth Keyboard for MacBook Pro/Air, iMac, iPhone, iPad Pro/ Air/ Mini, New iPad ($50)
Adjustable Laptop Stands
- Portable Adjustable Aluminum Laptop Desk/Stand/Table ($55)
- Pyle Portable Adjustable Laptop Stand ($23)
Sometimes you need to be seen more clearly on Zoom. Here are some products that will help!